Encroachment/Excavation Permits

An excavation Permit is required for any work that involves digging or excavation within the public right-of-way. Because many of the streets in La Cañada Flintridge do not have a clear definition of where the private property/public right-of-way boundaries are, please contact the Public Works Department before you construct anything on the property adjacent to a street or trail.

An Encroachment Permit is required for any work within the public righ-of-way (i.e., drive approach, curb and gutter, sidewalk, decorative paving or walkways, or roll-off bin). Any fence, wall, or decorative pillar should be installed on private property, not in the public right-of-way. It is the responsibility of the property owner to provide the engineering survey or other acceptable documents to establish the right-of-way/ property line. The property owner is also responsible for maintaining the landscaping and irrigation with-in the parkway. The parkway is generally considered as the area between the curb or edge of roadway and the right-of-way/property line. The city is responsible for the maintenance, planting, or removal of City-owned trees within the parkway. No encroachment permit is required for the installation of landscaping and irrigation in the parkway provided that the proposed work is approved by the Community Development Department and does not impact the existing trees.

Apply for Excavation/Encroachment Permits and Trash Bin Permits*

*Trash Bin Permits require owner acknowledgment prior to issuance of the permit.  Please see submittal requirements for more information.

For Wireless Facility(SWF) please use the following links:


(Ordinance 482 - Ordinance 483-U - Resolution 19-08 New Wireless Facility Policy)