Encroachment/Excavation Permit

Call Before You Dig!! 1-800-227-2600 or 811

Before you or your contractor excavate, grade or dig, State law requires that you call Underground Service Alert of Southern California ("USA" or "Dig Alert") a minimum of 2 working days prior to the start of work. The Dig Alert staff notifies all underground utilities or other owners of equipment in the area that you will be digging. The utilities and owners are required to mark the location of their facilities so that they aren't disturbed by your project.

This one telephone call can protect you against charges associated with repairing or restoring telephone, gas, electrical and water service, which may be damaged during the excavation.

The Dig Alert telephone number for our area is 1-800-227-2600 or 811.

If you would like additional information regarding the program, visit www.digalert.org

Excavation and Encroachment Permits

An excavation Permit is required for any work that involves digging or excavation within the public right-of-way. Because many of the streets in La Cañada Flintridge do not have a clear definition of where the private property/public right-of-way boundaries are, please contact the Public Works Department before you construct anything on the property adjacent to a street or trail.

An Encroachment Permit is required for any work within the public righ-of-way (i.e., drive approach, curb and gutter, sidewalk, decorative paving or walkways, or roll-off bin). Any fence, wall, or decorative pillar should be installed on private property, not in the public right-of-way. It is the responsibility of the property owner to provide the engineering survey or other acceptable documents to establish the right-of-way/ property line. The property owner is also responsible for maintaining the landscaping and irrigation with-in the parkway. The parkway is generally considered as the area between the curb or edge of roadway and the right-of-way/property line. The city is responsible for the maintenance, planting, or removal of City-owned trees within the parkway. No encroachment permit is required for the installation of landscaping and irrigation in the parkway provided that the proposed work is approved by the Community Development Department and does not impact the existing trees.

To find out more imformation on how to obtain an excavation or encroachment permit, please contact the Public Works Department at (818) 790-8882.

Apply for an Excavation/Encroachment Permits through ConnectLCF Portal

Be sure to review the submittal requirments prior to applying.

Placing a Roll-Off Bin in the Public Right-Of-Way? An ENCROACHMENT PERMIT is required BEFORE placing a Roll-off Bin (“Dumpster”) in the Public Right-Of-Way (PROW).

1. Obtain and complete an application from the Public Works Department or
City website.
2. Pay permit fee of $103. No permit will be issued without proper payment.
3. Provide 8.5” x 11” photograph of the project site.
4. Provide proof of insurance (general liability, workers’ compensation). All insurance documents MUST name the City as an additional insured and
provide the proper endorsement form and language as specified in the insurance requirements. A copy of a valid insurance certificate must be submitted to the City upon renewal.

The permit is valid for 14 calendar days and is eligible for one 14-day extension at no additional cost.


Apply for a trash bin Permits through ConnectLCF Portal*

*Trash Bin Permits require owner acknowledgment prior to issuance of the permit.  See  submittal requirments for the details.