posted Jun 17, 2013, 4:50 PM by Unknown user
updated Jun 18, 2013, 3:23 PM
As summer is upon us, the Los Angeles County Fire Department urges residents to remember the following pool safety basics:
- Adult Supervision: Assign an adult to supervise children in the pool. If you must leave the area, require all children to exit the pool.
- Barriers: Pools should be isolated by several layers of protection, including proper fencing, pool covers, alarms, locks, and latches.
- Classes: All children should take swimming lessons. All family members, including grandparents and babysitters should know how to swim. Swimming lessons are not a substitute for supervision.
- Emergency Preparedness: Learn CPR (Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation). Install a working phone outside near the pool area in case of a 9-1-1 emergency.
- Life-Saving Devices: Children should wear life jackets. Floaties or other inflatable devices do not have life saving capabilities.
It only takes a few seconds for a child to drown. Unfortunately, drowning is the leading cause of accidental death in children under 5 years of age. Please see this video from the Los Angeles County Fire Department for more information on pool safety.