Reduce, Reuse, Recycle, and Buy Recycled this Holiday Season
Holiday get-togethers, gift exchanging, and traditional perishable decorations all contribute to substantially increase the amount of waste that is generated between Thanksgiving and New Year’s Day. With a little planning, your holiday celebrations can be less wasteful this year. Here are a few suggestions:
· Recycling is Easy in La Cañada Flintridge
Recycle paper wrap, gift boxes, greeting cards, cardboard, and recyclable glass, plastic and metal containers in your blue recycling cart.
· Use artificial decorations that can be reused for years to come.
· Reuse plastic/Styrofoam packing materials.
Although polystyrene (“Styrofoam”) materials can be recycled, we recommend that you save packing “peanuts” and bubble wrap to reuse when mailing gifts, or collect and donate these materials to a local postal store.
· Buy products made from recycled materials.
Look for a label on gift wrap packaging or on the back of greeting cards that indicates that the item is made from post-consumer recycled material.
For more suggestions on how to reduce waste during the holidays, visit these websites:
· Earth911 – www.earth911.org
· Use Less Stuff – www.use-less-stuff.com
· CalRecycle – www.calrecycle.ca.gov/PublicEd/Holidays