posted Feb 16, 2017, 4:38 PM by Arabo Parseghian
updated Feb 17, 2017, 3:52 PM
Utility Safety Tips
- SCE reminds customers if you see a downed power line, never try to remove it or touch it or anything in contact with it. The line may be energized. Call SCE at 1-800-611-1911 or 911 immediately.
- Wet yards with puddles on cement or grass can carry electricity. If a line is down in your yard, remain indoors and call 911 immediately.
- Never try to remove a broken tree limb or branch that has come in contact with a power line.
- Make sure you have battery-operated radios and flashlights. Check the batteries to make sure they’re fresh. Use flashlights for lighting during a power outage. Do not use candles because they pose a fire hazard.
- When power is out, traffic signals may be out so approach those intersections as four-way stops.
- If you use a generator, place it outdoors and plug individual appliances directly into it using heavy-duty extension cords. Connecting generators directly to household circuits creates “backfeed,” which is dangerous to repair crews.
Report an Outage (24-hours a day, 7-days a week): 1-800-611-1911.
If you see a downed power line, call 911 immediately.
Sand and Sandbags
Sand and sandbags are now available to residents at the following locations with 24-hour access:
- LA County Fire Station #19 (1729 Foothill Blvd.) - sandbags only
- LA County Fire Station #82 (352 Foothill Blvd.) - sandbags only
- Camp 2 (4810 N. Oak Grove Dr.) - sandbags only
- Mayors' Discovery Park (1800 Foothill Blvd.) - sand & sandbags*
- Paradise Valley (at community sign adjacent to 5489 Ocean View Blvd.) - sand & sandbags*
*The City does not provide pre-filled sandbags nor shovels at these locations.