Dog License

The City’s animal code for the keeping of animals is established in Title 11, Chapter 11.32 (ANIMAL KEEPING AND ANIMAL CLUBS IN RESIDENTIAL ZONES) of the City's Municipal Code. As far as licensing, impounding, sale and exhibition of animals is conserned the City follows the County of Los Angeles' Animal Code. Fees are set by the City Council by resolution. The City contracts with the Pasadena Humane Society (PHS) for certain services, including dog licensing. Citizens may borrow animal traps from City Hall or rent from PHS.

State and local laws require that all dogs 4 months of age and older must be vaccinated against rabies and licensed.

NOTE:Tags and licenses issued by other cities are NOTacceptable.

How does a pet license benefit my pet and me? 
1. Found pets can be reunited quickley with their owner. 
2. PHS animal contol officers will attempt to deliver your pet home to you. 
3. Your pet receives a longer care period. When found, your licensed pet will be cared for at the PHS for 10 days (longer than a dog with no license).

Dog licenses may be obtained at any time, and are valid for a 12 month. Dogs must be 4 months or older, and have had their rabies shot. Though tags are permanent, licenses must be renewed every year.

License applications are available at City Hall, or by clicking here

If your dog is impounded wearing a current LCF license, PHS will try to contact you immediately based on current information available. Please call PHS at 626-792-7151 ext: 115 to update your information if you move or change telephone numbers. 

Questions about Wild Animals
Animal Traps

Traps for troublesome visitors such as skunks, raccoons and possums are available at City Hall for a two-week loan period. Once you catch your visitor, PHS may be contacted for pick up.

Traps are available at City Hall during normal business hours. Call (818) 790-8880 to reserve a trap. You will be asked to fill out an application form and make a $100 returnable deposit. Information on trapping and bait suggestions is available upon request.

PHS also has information on deterring wildlife on their website. Click here for more information.


Residents are divided on the value of the local peacock (peafowl) population. Some residents like the birds and some would rather see them at the zoo. While peacocks help control the snail and rattlesnake populations, they also can be very noisy and rather messy. The City manages the peafowl flock’s population under a community negotiated plan for peafowl management. The City is required to conduct an annual census of the peafowl flock to determine the population. If the flock exceeds twenty five birds, the City will trap and relocate a portion of the flock.

To discourage peafowl on your property, turn on your sprinklers intermittently or spray the birds with a hose, as peafowl do not like water. Peafowl like animal food, so do not leave animal food outdoors. Dogs and cats will likewise discourage peafowl from entering your property.

For more information on peafowl behavior, contact the Pasadena Humane Society at (626) 792-7151.


Coyotes are part of the foothills landscape, but coyotes are wild animals and should be treated with caution. Most conflicts between humans and coyotes may be avoided by taking several actions: 1) never feed coyotes or attempt to befriend them; 2) do not leave pet food outside over night; 3) keep garbage in a sturdy container with a tight lid, and compost in enclosed bins; 4) keep all pets indoors at night; 5) keep cats indoors; 6) spay or neuter your dogs.


Are bees a problem on your property? There are several companies that provide bee removal service. Please reference ‘Pest Control’ in the local phone book. Or here is a list of bee control companies that can help. If the bee problem is on public property, City Hall at 818-790-8882.